Green Diamonds

This queen-size quilt is my own design. The inspiration was a bright spring green fabric which I thought would be beautifully offset by surrounding it with black, white, and grey. I designed a large block made up of two rectangles, with a diamond in the centre.

Each block is 16 inches finished. The blocks were constructed by pairing four 8 1/2 inch squares in black, white or grey with four 4 1/2 inch squares. Assembly was random, but as you can see from the picture, each block used two of the same light and two of the same dark squares. The rows were then assembled so that dark and light pieces would oppose each other.

I quilted the quilt using my walking foot in black thread. My Mom was kind enough to give me a copy of Melissa Marginet’s book “Walking Foot Quilt Designs”. I had a great time perusing the book and choosing the “Ripples” design, which was very simple to do on my machine. The random curves look good against the straight lines of the quilt top.

Finally, I used leftover pieces from the top to create a scrappy binding, which carries on the funky look of the quilt.

Luna Lapin

I was at Café Books in Canmore, Alberta, and picked up a book I just couldn’t resist: “Making Luna Lapin” by Sarah Peel. When I spoke with the shop owner, she said she had had the same reaction to the book, and simply had to carry it in the shop. It has a felt doll pattern to make Luna, plus all sorts of gorgeous clothing for her including adorable lingerie, fashionable dresses, and a detailed wool coat.

This is the second Luna doll I’ve made using the patterns. The doll pattern had a clever innovation that was new to me: the body section of the doll has a pointed top which gets stuffed up into the head. Therefore, the doll’s head remains steady instead of being floppy. The only downside to this is that the head must be hand sewn to the body.

This Luna Lapin doll was happily renamed Rosie Heart by her new 6-year-old owner.

I have plans for a third Luna doll for my niece – I look forward to posting about that, because I’m going to do a doll quilt for her as well.

Next on the agenda I have a getaway planned with my best friend, who is also an enthusiastic and accomplished knitter and weaver.

What Was I Thinking?!

I bought the Little Red Riding Hood fabric ages ago, and have been fondly collecting other fabrics and planning a project in the back of my mind ever since. I wanted to represent the idea of a path through the woods, the shortcut, and other aspects of the fairy tale.

I went through my traditional quilt patterns compendium and found this variation of Broken Dishes, then went ahead and did a trial block.

The good news is I like the block design and will use it again. However, I’ve come to the conclusion that the novelty Red Riding Hood fabric is almost unusable for a quilt. Cut up it is simply too jarring. Unfortunately, mine is already cut up, and will have to be used one block at a time in 48 ‘I Spy’ quilts.

I have run into this issue before: novelty fabrics with a light background can be exceedingly difficult to place nicely with other fabrics. How disappointing.

Canola Fields Woven Project Bag

Last weekend, my daughter and I drove down to eastern Ontario to attend a weaving workshop with  Janet Whittam  in her home studio. It was a treat spending the weekend together with my daughter, and exploring the Morrisburg area in our spare time.

Janet is a knowledgeable and patient instructor, and I learned some valuable tips from her during the two day session. My mind was opened to the possibilities of a black warp, for example. In this piece, look how the black 4/8 cotton warp enhances the chosen colour scheme worked in wool.

I had originally planned to weave a canola fields striped table runner, but I couldn’t resist the temptation of some of the fabulous natural textures in Janet’s well-stocked studio, and ended up using materials that wouldn’t allow the fabric to be flat enough to be used in that way. The project bag is intended for knitting projects and is a simple, generously-sized, lined, draw-string bag.

Thanks Janet!

Canola Field: Hooked Rug Version

I really enjoyed hooking the simple colour scheme in creating this piece, and am particularly happy with the contrast between flowers and sky. I wanted to convey the light fluffy flower tops that you can see the sky behind, I wanted to portray the energy of the approaching thunderstorm, and I wanted to evoke an overall feeling of lush abundance. The trickiest part was suggesting the plant stalks: vertical, but not completely straight. I don’t feel that the design challenge is completely exhausted: I may want to do another rug on the subject, but more abstract.

This small rug will be used as a coaster or pad for hot objects. It was hooked using #6 cut wool strips.

 

Route 66 Socks

These socks were nice to knit. Once again the pattern is from Stephanie Van Der Linden’s Around the World in Knitted Socks, may favourite book. These are now a belated birthday present for my brother.

I have learned to knit holding the different colours of yarn in each hand, so with this pattern there is never a need to twist (or untwist) the yarn. The only potential pitfall I can see in this pattern is on the sole. Because the sole is evenly striped, it’s easy to get ridges and bumps from the colour switch. You need to be careful of the tension of the yarn that’s being carried – not to let it get too tight.

Next up: Herringbone socks from the same book.

Canola Field: Embroidered Version

This is my first attempt at translating my canola vision into fibre art. I am a member of the Guelph Embroiderers Guild, and took a class there on miniature landscapes. This is created entirely using straight stitches and French knots with embroidery floss on linen.

I am currently finishing up my rug hooking version of the canola field scene, and thinking of getting bolder and less representative with the quilted and woven versions.